Built 1896 (restored & remodelled in 2008)
Simon Leiser & Co., Wholesale Grocers, was the largest business of its kind in British Columbia when this warehouse was built. The building featured a central electrical elevator with tracks radiating from the elevator on each floor for ease of handling merchandise.
Designed by architect A.C. Ewart, the building cost $35,000 in 1896. The brick structure has stone dressings and sheet metal decoration. It was renovated in 1972 as the headquarters for the Capital Regional District.
The building was then graciously restored and converted to condominiums by LeFevre & Company in 2008 as open loft concept living, with a city zoning that permits live/work space, and vacation rental uses. The City of Victoria’s initiative in this regard was highly successful to encourage developers to restore and invigorate historic classed buildings with new life and use.